Sunday, September 24, 2017

Why I Fight For Women in STEM

This world has a problem. Well many in fact, but one of the ones I'm most equipped to deal with is the war against women in STEM. It's a fight I've been in my whole life but only recently really started finding my voice for. And when I see women in STEM facing adversity it really grinds my gears. I've been there. It's a horrible place to be. It makes you want to quit. It's really REALLY hard to find your voice and the best way to speak up. To even know it's okay to say something without fear of repercussion.

And I have to say an interesting thing happened when I started speaking up. Rather than people telling me to shut up as I suspected might happen, people started thanking me. Thanking me for saying something and for saying it eloquently. And the weirdest part of all, they told me to keep speaking up. So I have.

And when I woke up this morning to a tweet from one of the seniors on the robotics team I mentor, I couldn't stay silent.
She tweeted this article: https://www.nytimes.com/…/silicon-valley-men-backlash-gende…
with the caption "Welp wish me luck"

It pains me that young women excited about engineering not only have to see this stuff, but also STILL have to think about how to handle situations like this before they even enter college, let alone the workplace. And it's horrible that women today still have to deal with this kind of Bullshit.Yep I said BULLSHIT. Because that's exactly what it is.

This young lady is one of the brightest programmers I have ever met, and programming was not even on her radar until she joined the robotics team 3 years ago. She is almost completely self taught and has come so far. Now she is looking at it as a major and a career. To see this excitement from a confident young woman waiver in the slightest bit breaks my heart.

THIS is why I mentor. This is why I wont be silent. And this is why I keep fighting. Because people STILL don't realize the opposition women in STEM face. It shouldn't be like this. And I fight so that one day it won't be. In the meantime, I'm glad I have other strong women I can band together with, and I'm glad I can inspire the next generation of strong women in STEM. If you have the opportunity to inspire young women in STEM, support them and fight for them. Help them find a voice where they don't have one.

This is why I fight for women in STEM, not just because I am one, but for the future. We need women in STEM. We need diverse voices. It's how we will ultimately learn, grow, and be more innovative as a society. Every person has a unique background. Embrace those differences around you and rise to the top as a group. One persons differences does not prevent you from reaching your goals.

I repeat: ONE PERSON'S DIFFERENCES DOES NOT PREVENT YOU FROM REACHING YOUR GOALS.

Work together and achieve those goals together.

And if you're a women in STEM feeling lost, without a voice, or at their wits end, know that I'm here for you. Know that's I've been there. And know that we can fight it and make it better. In the meantime, let's talk about it, let's support each other, and let's win this fight.

2 comments:

  1. My daughter's high school has a special STEM program that she's been wavering on being interested in; however, her real interest seems to be languages, so we're not trying to push her into the STEM program even though we'd love for her to be involved in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great she has an interest in languages but it's possible to develop interests in multiple areas. I think it's good to let kids pick, but maybe have her try STEM too and see how she feels about it. If the program is available then it can't hurt to try. Sometimes young women need a nudge to see if something else is right for them as well. Best of luck to your daughter in her high school career. I hope she finds many passions :)

      Delete